Monday, August 10, 2009

Birthday Boy

This cute little guy is 29 today.

1981:

2009:


Those sparkly blue eyes have seen a lot of adventuring in the between years. Singing his way across Europe. Biking the U.S. coast to coast. Skiing the American Rockies. Hiking the Canadian Rockies. Scuba diving in Jamaica. Sailing the Atlantic coast. Climbing Scottish Munros. Eating bear in Bhutan. Getting sick in India. Boating the Italian Veneto. Camping in Romania. Twice he’s driven his laboring wife to the hospital. Thrice he’s changed careers (bicycle mechanic to physicist to civil engineer to…pastor?) I can’t wait to see what’s still to come.

David, if I had to describe you in five words, this is you: Spirit-filled, genuine, peaceful, adventurous, faithful. 11 years ago you captured me with your smile and humor and kindness, and today I am ever so much more captivated by the extraordinary man you are.

Tonight you’re playing poker with the guys while your three girls are missing you 3,000 miles away. I’m so sad I’m not by your side tonight, honey. But I can’t tell you how happy I am that I’m by your side for life.


[David's birthday is the 9th, but I was having internet trouble last night so am only posting it this morning.]



2 comments:

The Dodd Family said...

Oh Megan! What sweet words that brought tears to my eyes! I had no idea it was his birthday...sheesh - I even saw him and didn't say anything! Oh well - I'll say my congrats next time. I miss you lots and can't wait till you come 'home'!

Heather Martin said...

Happy Birthda David!