Thursday, April 5, 2007

Fun and Frustrations

My free moments the past couple weeks have been spent being all crafty and making baby shower invitations. It's been fun, though by the time I had bought all the craft supplies (since all my stuff is still in Atlanta) and added up all the hours spent on them, I could have bought nice invitations 5 times over. But, I want this to be special for my best friend. I even took a picture of my endeavor as a memoir, and I just have to show them off to you:

So today, I finally took them to the post office...I'm already way past when I had hoped to get them out. The post office lady, however, said they were excess size because of the knot in the twine and wanted me to pay over double the price on each one. It's already a lot having to mail them internationally, so this news was not good for our student budget. I piled up my 15 envelopes and huffed back home. There I complained to Dave, who looked at me like I was crazy for not having just paid the postage fee, and started carefully opening envelopes and retying bows and trying to press them down. Then I would give him two envelopes and ask if he could tell a difference. He couldn't. Then I got the bright idea to go to a different post office; maybe they wouldn't be so keen and not notice the size problem. So I strapped on Cora and piled up my envelopes again and set off for another one quite a few blocks further away. Well, the first lady was, as I wished, not very keen. I hesitantly asked, "So, the size isn't a problem?" She assured me no, but the lady behind her asked if she'd put it through the little plastic slot size measurer thingy. So, she did, and of course it got stuck. Just a little though. A little shove and it was through. Wasn't that okay, I asked? No, it'll get stuck in the machine sorter and be sent back to me. Grrrr. By that time, it was past the time for the mail to get picked up anyway, and Easter weekend here means Friday and Monday are holidays (isn't that wonderful?!!! What is wrong with the U.S. that you don't even get Good Friday off anymore?) So, now I wouldn't be able to get them out until Tuesday anyway, so plan C: this weekend I'll switch out the thick twine for thin blue ribbon on each invitation. Only, I have no idea where I can find some pretty blue ribbon. And we're entertaining 17 people for Easter dinner on Sunday (don't ask me where they'll fit) for which I need to grocery shop, clean and cook. And Monday I'm going with a friend to Victoria (since she has the day off she was begging for me, the only other one in our group not overwhelmed with finals next week, to go with her). Right. Maybe I'll get them out on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor you, how FRUSTRATING!!
The invitations look beautiful though!

Erin said...

Those are so cute. You are the best best friend!!