Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Fairy Truths

“Among these trees lived a nightingale, which sang so deliciously that even the poor fisherman, who had plenty of other things to do, lay still to listen to it when he was out at night drawing in his nets. “Heavens, how beautiful is is,” he said, but then he had to attend to his business and forgot it. The next night when he heard it again he would again exclaim, “Heavens, how beautiful it is.””
The Nightingale, Hans Christian Anderson

What truths can be found in common fairy tales! As I read these lines this afternoon, I saw fragments of my own fickle self—daily enamored with the beauty of my King and Savior, and daily forgetful and distracted by the day’s business. Herein lies the source of my perpetual need for time with my Lord, to gaze at His face, to listen to the song He sings over me, to bow in humility and surrender again and again, knowing that I will still fail, still forget, still become troubled, still become preoccupied with myself. But daily, He still continues to sing over me. Still He is faithful. Still He is love. His mercy knows no end. And so, by His grace, I keep hearing the beautiful song. But only by His grace! May He keep reminding me, keep drawing me, keep luring me with His music, even as I faithlessly disappoint. I offer only marginal moments of joy to Him; He pours down streams of joy upon my head.

Later in the tale, the nightingale is replaced in the emperor’s court with a bejeweled artificial nightingale, loved more for its outer beauty and predictability. Truly this parallels our society’s exchange of trifling trinkets for the glory of “I Am.” Are we not quickly captivated by the glistening artificial brightness of the world? Do we not love the predictability of being able to choose our own way? When seen objectively through the truthful lens of God’s Word, what a poor alternative we have selected.

Nothing like a fairy tale to stimulate thoughts about spiritual realities! As Chesterton aptly said: “If you REALLY read the fairy tales, you will observe that one idea runs from one end of them to the other—the idea that peace and happiness can only exist on some condition. This idea, which is the core of ethics, is the core of the nursery-tales.” The condition for my peace and happiness exists solely in right relationship with God. I am so grateful for His continual promptings of that truth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.